Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Professional name

One of my co-conspirators on the project is putting together a tech report, and he asked me whether I wanted to go by Alex or Alexander. This is an important question, since this choice will probably determine my professional name for the rest of my career. I know I'm not the only one who has pondered this question: a prof in my lab changed his name from Michael to Mike about eight years after his first publication, and now is so adamant about being called Mike that he will go out of his way to cross out "Michael" on a nametag and write "MIKE" underneath.

I'm going with Alexander, mostly because my webpage is the number one result when you search for my full name (my single Amazon product review is surprisingly high, somewhere around 19...). I had to think about it a while, though.