Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Stuff the Internet forgot, issue 1

Every now and again I stumble across something on the Internet I'd forgotten about for a long time. Sometimes it's alive and well, but all too often I have to wave away the cobwebs, and the signs of bit rot are impossible to ignore. I want to remember these things, and I want you to see how cool they are too, so I'll be posting them here occasionally.

Today I unearthed the Internet leftovers of famed supercheerful-electronic group Lemon Jelly. Whenever I need a cheerful melody, their first two albums can't be beat, and the third features some pretty excellent tracks as well. The dynamic duo of Nick Franglen and Fred Deakin were well-known for having zany shows awash in balloons. Sadly, though, the group is on indefinite hiatus, and their site hasn't been updated in a while, though the forum is still hopping.

I decided to do some more excavating and found that Franglen is still making new music, though his most recent colab Blacksand (with one C.J. Casey of Akasha) stands in stark contrast to his Lemony work. Listen for yourself and you will see what I mean -- real dark and echoey and atmospheric.

Deakin, at first glance, seems to have left the Internet limelight circa 2007 rather thoroughly, though glimpses peak through if you know where to look. Then you realize he's just been busy working at his graphic design studio, Airside. They do all sorts of neat things like these funky creatures for Japanese TV station NTV, and these ultracute ultraugly stitch creatures among plenty of others.

So there you go. The Lemons Jelly are twain but do not grieve; for they are doing Good Things and have not forgotten this world.